Old 28-08-2004, 09:43 PM
P Williamson

Default Vines in NW UK

Anyone have any recommendations for vines that will grow/crop well outside
in the NW UK in Southport (N of Liverpool )

Any help appreciated

PW

Old 29-08-2004, 11:04 AM
Sam

"P Williamson" wrote in message
Anyone have any recommendations for vines that will grow/crop well outside
in the NW UK in Southport (N of Liverpool )

Any help appreciated

PW

I can't recommend vines for the Northwest as we are in East Anglia and our
vines only went in this year. But this was where I ordered ours from
http://www.winegrowers.info/vines/frame.htm and I cannot recommend them
highly enough - excellent service.

Out of interest the vines I chose - and I'm only really interested in wine
grapes - were Rondo, Regent, Phoenix, Orion and Bacchus. All are growing
vigorously.

Sam

Old 29-08-2004, 11:37 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article , Sam wrote:

I can't recommend vines for the Northwest as we are in East Anglia and our
vines only went in this year. But this was where I ordered ours from
http://www.winegrowers.info/vines/frame.htm and I cannot recommend them
highly enough - excellent service.

Reads are also in East Anglia, but probably less into the bulk vine
supplies.

Out of interest the vines I chose - and I'm only really interested in wine
grapes - were Rondo, Regent, Phoenix, Orion and Bacchus. All are growing
vigorously.

That isn't the problem. Pretty well all varieties of Vitis vinifera
will grow well in the UK. The problem is getting them to crop, and
getting the grapes to ripen.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 29-08-2004, 11:48 AM
Sam

Out of interest the vines I chose - and I'm only really interested in wine
grapes - were Rondo, Regent, Phoenix, Orion and Bacchus. All are growing
vigorously.

That isn't the problem. Pretty well all varieties of Vitis vinifera
will grow well in the UK. The problem is getting them to crop, and
getting the grapes to ripen.

All the vines I chose are supposed to ripen well in Northern climes - german
breeding origins - and all but Bacchus are supposed to be disease
resistant - another consideration for our soggy climate. As to whether they
actually will ripen well I can't comment until we get our first crop.

Sam

Old 29-08-2004, 12:33 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article , Sam wrote:

Out of interest the vines I chose - and I'm only really interested in wine
grapes - were Rondo, Regent, Phoenix, Orion and Bacchus. All are growing
vigorously.

That isn't the problem. Pretty well all varieties of Vitis vinifera
will grow well in the UK. The problem is getting them to crop, and
getting the grapes to ripen.

All the vines I chose are supposed to ripen well in Northern climes - german
breeding origins - and all but Bacchus are supposed to be disease
resistant - another consideration for our soggy climate. As to whether they
actually will ripen well I can't comment until we get our first crop.

The main wine-growing areas of Germany get significantly more reliable
and usually warmer and sunnier summers and autumns than we do, even in
East Anglia. Despite the bullshit about global warming turning this
country into a wine-growing area, English wines are pretty fair gnat's
**** in general. You MAY be luckier ....

Over the years, I have tried ones with good reputations half a dozen
times, and frankly I can't see why anyone bothers. What I regret is
the unavailability of decent cider and perry - no, I do NOT like the
modern sweetish, sugar-enhanced to 6%+ for rapid intoxication rubbish.
You can still get reasonable stuff further west, but it is gettin
harder, and is pretty well impossible here. And most of the better
ones are the semi-scrumpy style, rather than the refined sort that
you also used to be able to get.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 29-08-2004, 09:06 PM
Franz Heymann

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

[snip]

Despite the bullshit about global warming turning this
country into a wine-growing area, English wines are pretty fair

gnat's
**** in general. You MAY be luckier ....

That does not square well with the number of prizes won by English
white wines in blind tasting sessions.
It also does not square well with my own experience, but that might of
course just signify that I like gnat's ****.

Franz

Old 29-08-2004, 09:34 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Franz Heymann wrote:

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

Despite the bullshit about global warming turning this
country into a wine-growing area, English wines are pretty fair

gnat's
**** in general. You MAY be luckier ....

That does not square well with the number of prizes won by English
white wines in blind tasting sessions.

No, it doesn't. But there are several alternative explanations for
that. And most of the ones I have tried WERE from award-winning
makers, often claimed to be some of their better years.

It also does not square well with my own experience, but that might of
course just signify that I like gnat's ****.

It could be. I have not tried any that weren't thin, and usually with
other faults as well.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-08-2004, 06:43 AM
Franz Heymann

Franz Heymann wrote:

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

Despite the bullshit about global warming turning this
country into a wine-growing area, English wines are pretty fair

gnat's
**** in general. You MAY be luckier ....

That does not square well with the number of prizes won by English
white wines in blind tasting sessions.

No, it doesn't. But there are several alternative explanations for
that. And most of the ones I have tried WERE from award-winning
makers, often claimed to be some of their better years.

It also does not square well with my own experience, but that might

of
course just signify that I like gnat's ****.

It could be. I have not tried any that weren't thin, and usually

with
other faults as well.

What a blessing it is to have been equipped with such an ill-developed
sense of taste that I can enjoy even an English wine.
{:-))

Franz

Old 30-08-2004, 11:37 AM
Andy Hunt

Anyone have any recommendations for vines that will grow/crop well outside
in the NW UK in Southport (N of Liverpool )

Any help appreciated

I've bought and put in a "Queen of Esther" grape vine from Summerseat Garden
Centre (near Bury, Lancs). It seems to be growing well but I've only put it
in this year, so I don't know how it will (or if it will) crop. I've got it
against a S/SW facing wall.

Andy

Old 30-08-2004, 06:37 PM
Victoria Clare

"Sam" wrote in :

Out of interest the vines I chose - and I'm only really interested in
wine grapes - were Rondo, Regent, Phoenix, Orion and Bacchus. All are
growing vigorously.

That isn't the problem. Pretty well all varieties of Vitis vinifera
will grow well in the UK. The problem is getting them to crop, and
getting the grapes to ripen.

All the vines I chose are supposed to ripen well in Northern climes -
german breeding origins - and all but Bacchus are supposed to be
disease resistant - another consideration for our soggy climate. As to
whether they actually will ripen well I can't comment until we get our
first crop.

My Dornfelder, planted this spring, has managed one fine big bunch of
grapes. About half of them are a beautiful deep purple already, and the
others are purpling.

One bunch is not much, but leaves me quite hopeful for next year, as the
vine has also grown hugely ( I should probably have removed the flowers
this year to let it concentrate on getting established, but it seems to
have handled that pretty well anyway!)

It is planted against the south wall of my shed, which is painted brilliant
white: I think this has helped.

So far no signs of any bugs or nasties....

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall