Old 30-08-2004, 11:08 PM
Mary Anne Mary Anne is offline
Registered User

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by J
Planted six rose climbers end of April, we had a late spring...

they are doing fine and starting to show signs of flowering.
except one which did not make it.

We are one hundred miles north east of Toronto Canada
not sure what zone that is since it was all changed here
a few years ago.

Was wondering how do I take care of the rest during the season.
I water them once a week and give them rose food. Is there anything
else I should be doing..
jak
Hello, Jak. Toronto is in zone 5 according to the new zones for Canada. See http://sis.agr.gc.ca/cansis/nsdb/cli...ess/intro.html for your own zone -- if you are 100 miles north, you are probably more into zone 4. Just water well and feed with rose food - that's all I do for my John Cabot. Especially the water. As for winter care, you need to find out what they like. If they are Explorers, they shouldn't need the canes taking down - those are cane hardy down I think to zone 3. If they are not Explorers, you will need to find out if they are cane hardy and if they aren't you may need to bury the canes, or at the least take them down and cover them up with leaves, burlap, etc. One of the reasons I have stuck to the Explorer -- no need to bury him which would be hard as I have NO space for that!

Mary Anne in Ottawa