Old 30-08-2004, 11:18 PM
Victoria Clare

lid (Rodger Whitlock) wrote in
:

My wife would like to put down about 15 square meters of wood
(is it called "decking" ?) - planks of wood with gaps; but

From the remarks I've read here in urg, decks don't work well in
England because your weather is so wet. They're a California
thing and are really only suitable for a fairly sunny climate.

I think that's a social thing rather than a fact, Roger. Decking seems to
be considered uncool here at the moment, but it is also both popular and
widely used. It probably isn't appropriate in this case, but not because
the UK is a deck-free zone!

We are a maritime nation after all: most of our history wouldn't have
happened if wood became instantly unuseable when slightly damp!

You've just given me a great idea with your mention of deck mounted on a
carport - thanks. I've been wondering how to keep the MX5 dry without
planting a whopping great garage roof in the way of our view...

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall