Old 31-08-2004, 07:24 PM
Zing

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello:

Live in New England, outside of Boston

Have a question about Woolly Adelgid bugs and Hemlocks:

Have a massive Hemlock in backyard that, for the first time I think, is
showing
several "leaves" on various branches which have turned an orange color.

Looking at them closely, I can find no evidence of white spots, white

sacks,
etc.
on either the tops or bottoms.

Can anyone explain what might be happening ?

Water deficiency, time of year, etc. ?

Think it might be a Woolly Adelgid Problem, even without my
being able to see any evidence of ?

Much thanks.
Really appreciate the help.

Bob

As they age, Hemlocks will shed some of the lower branches. Nothing to worry
about. The WA white "stuff" is pretty obvious. Google will provide many
photos.

Check for mites. You'll need a 10x or better magnifying glass (shake the
leaves over various colored papers, or contact your county extension agent.
Have not heard of viruses, fungus etc. affecting Hemlocks, but that could be
a remote possibility.

Hemlocks like somewhat moist soil (they're often native to streambanks), but
I wouldn't think that would be your problem - hasn't NE had two unusually
rainy seasons in a row?

If you have a WA infestation, get on it fast (probably next Spring). Hort.
oil at the right time will do the trick, but watch out for a secondary
infestations of mites if the tree is stressed. Make sure the arborist has a
rig w/ a boom that will reach ALL of the tree, and spray both sides of the
leaves. If you do have WA, notify any neighbors who may have Hemlocks. It
attacks concentrated groups of trees.

Good luck.