Old 31-08-2004, 02:40 PM
Robert11

Default Woolly Adelgid Problem Question ?

Hello:

Live in New England, outside of Boston

Have a question about Woolly Adelgid bugs and Hemlocks:

Have a massive Hemlock in backyard that, for the first time I think, is
showing
several "leaves" on various branches which have turned an orange color.

Looking at them closely, I can find no evidence of white spots, white sacks,
etc.
on either the tops or bottoms.

Can anyone explain what might be happening ?

Water deficiency, time of year, etc. ?

Think it might be a Woolly Adelgid Problem, even without my
being able to see any evidence of ?

Much thanks.
Really appreciate the help.

Bob

Old 31-08-2004, 07:24 PM
Zing

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello:

Live in New England, outside of Boston

Have a question about Woolly Adelgid bugs and Hemlocks:

Have a massive Hemlock in backyard that, for the first time I think, is
showing
several "leaves" on various branches which have turned an orange color.

Looking at them closely, I can find no evidence of white spots, white

sacks,
etc.
on either the tops or bottoms.

Can anyone explain what might be happening ?

Water deficiency, time of year, etc. ?

Think it might be a Woolly Adelgid Problem, even without my
being able to see any evidence of ?

Much thanks.
Really appreciate the help.

Bob

As they age, Hemlocks will shed some of the lower branches. Nothing to worry
about. The WA white "stuff" is pretty obvious. Google will provide many
photos.

Check for mites. You'll need a 10x or better magnifying glass (shake the
leaves over various colored papers, or contact your county extension agent.
Have not heard of viruses, fungus etc. affecting Hemlocks, but that could be
a remote possibility.

Hemlocks like somewhat moist soil (they're often native to streambanks), but
I wouldn't think that would be your problem - hasn't NE had two unusually
rainy seasons in a row?

If you have a WA infestation, get on it fast (probably next Spring). Hort.
oil at the right time will do the trick, but watch out for a secondary
infestations of mites if the tree is stressed. Make sure the arborist has a
rig w/ a boom that will reach ALL of the tree, and spray both sides of the
leaves. If you do have WA, notify any neighbors who may have Hemlocks. It
attacks concentrated groups of trees.

Good luck.

Old 31-08-2004, 10:11 PM
Beecrofter

"Robert11" wrote in message ...
Hello:

Live in New England, outside of Boston

Have a question about Woolly Adelgid bugs and Hemlocks:

Have a massive Hemlock in backyard that, for the first time I think, is
showing
several "leaves" on various branches which have turned an orange color.

Looking at them closely, I can find no evidence of white spots, white sacks,
etc.
on either the tops or bottoms.

Can anyone explain what might be happening ?

Water deficiency, time of year, etc. ?

Think it might be a Woolly Adelgid Problem, even without my
being able to see any evidence of ?

Much thanks.
Really appreciate the help.

Bob

Hard to say, bring a sample to the extension center or a decent garden
center.
A good sample will show a transition from healthy to what you consider
to be abnormal.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:07 AM
Ann

"Robert11" expounded:

Have a massive Hemlock in backyard that, for the first time I think, is
showing
several "leaves" on various branches which have turned an orange color.

Although it's rather late in the season to be showing winter damage,
we did come through an awful season last winter, many evergreens were
stressed.

As far as the woolly adelgids go, they're fairly obvious, they look
like little fuzzy cotton masses on the undersides of the green
needles. Hort oil in the early spring is the first line of defense,
then followup applications of sun oil in the year if applicable (sun
oil is lighter than hort oil and can be used later in the season,
although I don't think you should be applying it in the heat of the
summer).
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 01-09-2004, 01:36 PM
Beecrofter

Ann wrote in message
As far as the woolly adelgids go, they're fairly obvious, they look
like little fuzzy cotton masses on the undersides of the green
needles. Hort oil in the early spring is the first line of defense,
then followup applications of sun oil in the year if applicable (sun
oil is lighter than hort oil and can be used later in the season,
although I don't think you should be applying it in the heat of the
summer).

How many horsepower do you need to spray the hort oil to reach all
parts of a 65 foot hemlock ?

Old 03-09-2004, 03:14 PM
Beecrofter

Where I was headed with this was the labelling change that allowed the
use of the systemic imidacloprid marketed as "Merit" to be used to
control the hemlock woolly adelgid. It is applied under the trees drip
line and taken up into the plant tissue.
Be careful to follow all the label directions, this pesticide is very
hard on pollinators and beekeepers. It is especially hard on honeybees
when used as a turfgrass grub control becuase it ends up in the
dandylions and clovers visited by the bees.

[IMG] code is On

Help! Hemlock Wooley Adelgid ctlady Gardening 17 26-06-2008 03:15 PM
hemlock woolly adelgid - Pesticides and/or Asian Lady Beetles Ivanna Pee Gardening 1 27-06-2007 01:01 AM
Wooly Adelgid Sam Hurlbut Bonsai 0 07-05-2006 01:55 AM
Woolly Adelgid Problem Qu THURSTON ACKERMAN Gardening 0 31-08-2004 11:26 PM
Woolly Adelgid Problem Quest. ? (live outside of Boston) Robert11 Gardening 4 20-06-2004 11:05 PM