Old 31-08-2004, 10:31 PM
Mark and Kim Smith

Dan D. wrote:

Mark and Kim Smith wrote in message ...

So I decided to top off my pond .....I could've sworn I shut off the fill pipe.

... Yikes!

Is that water still running?!? .....

Leaving the water on is the absolute best- most done- way to kill
your fish.
The heck with the pump.
I'd really HATE to kill my fish after all these years.
I personally know 4 ponders.
3 of them have killed all their fish at one time or another by leaving
the city water on and forgetting it.

RULE 1 -- I never leave the pond when I'm filling.
If I leave, I turn off the water even if it's not full.
It's easy for me to say because my pond is very small and I can top it
off in 5 minutes but you should never forget rule 1.

If you've got a bigger pond that takes longer you need one of those
water shut off thingies like the folks said....

Peace!
Dan D. Louisville KY good ole USA
http://ky-dan.com
visit my winterization page!

Killing the fish is the least of my worries. They are just silly ol'
goldfish and are quite durable. I figure if one of these guys can
survive, thrive and outgrow a bowl in my wife's preschool class (
including all the poking and tapping the little ones did and with
complete tap water change outs and no air / bubbling / filter system ),
then mine outta be just fine! And he grew to be quite large ( 4 - 5").
BTW, the preschool fish lasted until someone poured milk into the bowl
over the summer during bible school. Problems of having to share a
classroom I guess. I'm sure I would be more stressed about the
situation if they had been Koi but mine started life being saved from
the feeder tank at the local fish shop. www.bunchobikes.com/pond6.htm