Old 29-08-2004, 09:28 PM
Mark and Kim Smith

Default Whew! That was close!!

Roy wrote:

snip

Electric motors usually fare out ok if they are allowed to dry before
powering them back up again. At the most I would check to make sure
no water got into the bearings etc if it has bearings. If its running
now, I would not worry about it.

snip

I'd say my crisis took all of one hour. I figured, after blowing the motor dry, if there was still water in there, the GFI would trip again. I have a feeling the pump went submerged and the water on the outlet is what tripped the GFI. No, the pump is not submersible, but maybe built for "wet" locations. No squealing bearings ( like on a Chrysler "K" car after steaming the motor ) so they must be of the sealed type. If I hear any squealing eventually, I'll have to find a way to lube them. Although, once they reach the point of squealing, you can usually count on them being shot!

Old 31-08-2004, 05:33 PM
Dan D.

Mark and Kim Smith wrote in message ...
So I decided to top off my pond .....I could've sworn I shut off the fill pipe.

.... Yikes!
Is that water still running?!? .....

Leaving the water on is the absolute best- most done- way to kill
your fish.
The heck with the pump.
I'd really HATE to kill my fish after all these years.
I personally know 4 ponders.
3 of them have killed all their fish at one time or another by leaving
the city water on and forgetting it.

RULE 1 -- I never leave the pond when I'm filling.
If I leave, I turn off the water even if it's not full.
It's easy for me to say because my pond is very small and I can top it
off in 5 minutes but you should never forget rule 1.

If you've got a bigger pond that takes longer you need one of those
water shut off thingies like the folks said....

Peace!
Dan D. Louisville KY good ole USA
http://ky-dan.com
visit my winterization page!
Old 31-08-2004, 10:31 PM
Mark and Kim Smith

Dan D. wrote:

[...]

Killing the fish is the least of my worries. They are just silly ol'
goldfish and are quite durable. I figure if one of these guys can
survive, thrive and outgrow a bowl in my wife's preschool class (
including all the poking and tapping the little ones did and with
complete tap water change outs and no air / bubbling / filter system ),
then mine outta be just fine! And he grew to be quite large ( 4 - 5").
BTW, the preschool fish lasted until someone poured milk into the bowl
over the summer during bible school. Problems of having to share a
classroom I guess. I'm sure I would be more stressed about the
situation if they had been Koi but mine started life being saved from
the feeder tank at the local fish shop. www.bunchobikes.com/pond6.htm

Old 01-09-2004, 02:18 PM

rules are great, a water timer shutoff is even better. INgrid

(Dan D.) wrote:
RULE 1 -- I never leave the pond when I'm filling.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Whew, what a heat wave Broadback United Kingdom 0 15-08-2005 05:52 PM
Whew! That was close!! Mark and Kim Smith Ponds 6 01-09-2004 02:18 PM
Whew!!! Close call. George Ponds 36 28-07-2004 09:03 AM
Whew!!! Close call. George Ponds 19 18-07-2004 08:02 AM
how close is too close? griffon Gardening 3 27-04-2003 07:20 PM