Old 01-09-2004, 12:07 AM
Ann

"Robert11" expounded:

Have a massive Hemlock in backyard that, for the first time I think, is
showing
several "leaves" on various branches which have turned an orange color.

Although it's rather late in the season to be showing winter damage,
we did come through an awful season last winter, many evergreens were
stressed.

As far as the woolly adelgids go, they're fairly obvious, they look
like little fuzzy cotton masses on the undersides of the green
needles. Hort oil in the early spring is the first line of defense,
then followup applications of sun oil in the year if applicable (sun
oil is lighter than hort oil and can be used later in the season,
although I don't think you should be applying it in the heat of the
summer).
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA