Old 01-09-2004, 12:30 AM
Pat

Well the seed came from a package labelled "sugar baby". It hasn't quit
growing but there is a yellow spot on the bottom, the color is dull and the
vine tendril has not dried. So I guess I ought to pick it now.

Thank you!

"FarmerDill" wrote in message
a suggar baby is one of the most difficult watermelons to tell if they are
ripe. Most times a dead curl (tendril attached to vinewher the watermelon
connects is a dead givaway) but not on a true sugarbaby. On the other

hand a
Sugar Baby doen't get over 15 lbs so I suspect that you have something

else.
They will normally be ripe about six weeks after they set on the vine and

the
gloss will will turn to a dull finish. There should be a yellowing of the
underbelly where it lays on the ground. It will quit growing several weeks
before it is ripe.