Old 31-08-2004, 05:43 AM
Pat

Default watermelon going insane

One of my sugar babies is getting bigger and bigger, and I don't know if
it's ready to pick or if I should let it grow. It is the biggest sugar baby
I have ever seen - larger than many regular melons. No idea what I did right
with this one, I have other melons in the same garden that just died out.

The stem where it attaches to the vine has not shriveled at all, and the
sound when I knock on it is "pank". I don't want to pick it before it's
ripe, but I'm afraid of waiting too long. We have another month of
frost-free time left here.

Please advise if you can!

Thanks....

Old 31-08-2004, 02:47 PM
FarmerDill

a suggar baby is one of the most difficult watermelons to tell if they are
ripe. Most times a dead curl (tendril attached to vinewher the watermelon
connects is a dead givaway) but not on a true sugarbaby. On the other hand a
Sugar Baby doen't get over 15 lbs so I suspect that you have something else.
They will normally be ripe about six weeks after they set on the vine and the
gloss will will turn to a dull finish. There should be a yellowing of the
underbelly where it lays on the ground. It will quit growing several weeks
before it is ripe.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:30 AM
Pat

Well the seed came from a package labelled "sugar baby". It hasn't quit
growing but there is a yellow spot on the bottom, the color is dull and the
vine tendril has not dried. So I guess I ought to pick it now.

Thank you!

Old 01-09-2004, 01:31 PM
brickled

i've grown this variety and had the melons get nearly twice the size as they
are reported to. sadly, the individual melons that got larger never got ripe
before the first frost.

Old 01-09-2004, 03:30 PM
Pat

"brickled" wrote in message
k.net...
i've grown this variety and had the melons get nearly twice the size as

they
are reported to. sadly, the individual melons that got larger never got

ripe
before the first frost.

I've never seen anything like this, the vine started indoors in early May,
set out in soil in late May, had flowers by late June and started getting
fruit in early July. The melon in question first appeared about 7 weeks ago.
There are others on the same vine that have been growing longer but haven't
gotten nearly as big.

Old 01-09-2004, 03:30 PM
Pat

"brickled" wrote in message
k.net...
i've grown this variety and had the melons get nearly twice the size as

they
are reported to. sadly, the individual melons that got larger never got

ripe
before the first frost.

I've never seen anything like this, the vine started indoors in early May,
set out in soil in late May, had flowers by late June and started getting
fruit in early July. The melon in question first appeared about 7 weeks ago.
There are others on the same vine that have been growing longer but haven't
gotten nearly as big.

there will be an insane ramble later after I get home (OT of course ) but MORE blooming part thr [email protected] Gardening 0 29-12-2003 03:32 PM
there will be an insane ramble later after I get home (OT of course ) but MORE blooming part thr madgardener Gardening 0 29-12-2003 02:42 PM
there will be an insane ramble later after I get home (OT of course ) but MORE blooming part three!! madgardener Gardening 6 29-12-2003 01:04 AM
Is Wayside Insane? animaux Gardening 23 20-12-2003 04:33 AM
North side of house - insane plants? Cereoid+10 Gardening 8 07-02-2003 07:59 AM