Old 25-08-2004, 11:08 AM
Billy M. Rhodes

In a message dated 8/25/2004 5:57:14 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

1) If I were to wound a tree by carving it and apply LS is it true that it
will stop disease and stop the wound eventually filling in/healing over, so
as to keep that look.

Lime sulfur is an old insecticide/fungicide for horticultural use.
However, its main use in Bonsai is to highlight certain features of a tree.
There are better fungicides/insecticides out there now. It will stop some insects
and disease. I don't know about stopping the wound from healing over, but I
don't know why it would.

If so what rate approx should I apply it, and how often?
2) When applying it to jin, does it create/keep the wood looking old?
Any other uses apart from fungal problems when it comes to Lime Sulfur and
Bonsai

Lime sulfur doesn't stop decay in all wood, there are also better
products for that. We use Minwax wood hardener for that. We use LS first to get
the white highlight if desired and then the Minwax product.

LS is usually applied when the effect wears off and always just a few
days before showing a tree. I usually just paint it on as it comes from the
bottle using a "parts brush." (10 cents US at Flea Markets)
Billy on the Florida Space Coast

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++