Old 01-09-2004, 03:58 PM
Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat

Default Slow worms in my compost bin ...

.... bless 'em.

I have no desire to harm them or even remove them if they're happy there
(it stops the local cats being able ot get at them, which is a good thing)
but I have a couple of questions.

Does this mean that if my compost bin is home to slow worms then it is too
dry ? It feels quite dry and although the process is definitely "happening"
it looks and feels dry. First compost experiences so I'm not sure what I
should be aiming for here. AFAIK slow worms like warm and dry, is that so ?
There is quite abit of hemp based animal bedding in there from the cages of
my pet rat (lovely rat poo, good for composting !) and they were curled up
in a pocket of that. I do give it a turn with the hoe now and then though
and I can see that compost is slowly being made.

If it is too dry and I sprinkle the hose in it will the slowies slither off
about their wormy (I know they're lizards btw) business unharmed ? The bin
is a Blackwall one with a big lid, a hatch at the front (where I saw them
curled up) and no base so it sits directly on the earth.

TIA

Rachael