Old 01-09-2004, 03:58 PM
Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat

Default Slow worms in my compost bin ...

.... bless 'em.

I have no desire to harm them or even remove them if they're happy there
(it stops the local cats being able ot get at them, which is a good thing)
but I have a couple of questions.

Does this mean that if my compost bin is home to slow worms then it is too
dry ? It feels quite dry and although the process is definitely "happening"
it looks and feels dry. First compost experiences so I'm not sure what I
should be aiming for here. AFAIK slow worms like warm and dry, is that so ?
There is quite abit of hemp based animal bedding in there from the cages of
my pet rat (lovely rat poo, good for composting !) and they were curled up
in a pocket of that. I do give it a turn with the hoe now and then though
and I can see that compost is slowly being made.

If it is too dry and I sprinkle the hose in it will the slowies slither off
about their wormy (I know they're lizards btw) business unharmed ? The bin
is a Blackwall one with a big lid, a hatch at the front (where I saw them
curled up) and no base so it sits directly on the earth.

TIA

Rachael

Old 01-09-2004, 04:58 PM
BAC

?
There is quite abit of hemp based animal bedding in there from the cages

of
my pet rat (lovely rat poo, good for composting !) and they were curled up
in a pocket of that. I do give it a turn with the hoe now and then though
and I can see that compost is slowly being made.

If it is too dry and I sprinkle the hose in it will the slowies slither

off
about their wormy (I know they're lizards btw) business unharmed ? The bin
is a Blackwall one with a big lid, a hatch at the front (where I saw them
curled up) and no base so it sits directly on the earth.

TIA

Well, if you deliberately disturb them, you won't be breaking the law,
because they don't enjoy full protection under the Wildlife and Countryside
Act. They are protected against killing, injury and being traded, however.

As you probably know, slow worms mate in May, but retain the eggs in their
bodies until August/September, about now, in other words, when 6 to 12 live
young are born. It might be a good idea to not risk disturbing them for a
few weeks.

Your compost heap does sound a bit dry, but if it is working, as you say it
is, then it's fairly OK, perhaps?

Slow worms eat plenty of garden pests, so they are 'gardeners' friends'.

Old 01-09-2004, 05:23 PM
Nick Maclaren

Old 03-09-2004, 11:57 AM
Rachael Nex

"BAC" wrote in message

slow worms in the bin...

Well, if you deliberately disturb them, you won't be breaking the law,
because they don't enjoy full protection under the Wildlife and
Countryside
Act.

That I was aware of but I don't want to disturb them because I like them,
rather than I am afraid of breaking a law. IYSWIM.

They are protected against killing, injury and being traded, however.

So I keep telling my neighbor when he is careless with the strimmer. I don't
think he cares about them though, sadly.

As you probably know, slow worms mate in May, but retain the eggs in their
bodies until August/September, about now, in other words, when 6 to 12
live
young are born.

That I didn't know - I knew they mated in May but not that they retained
their eggs.

It might be a good idea to not risk disturbing them for a
few weeks.

Indeed, thanks for the tip. I wouldn't want to disturb them at all even
accidently in that case so - I think I'll resist turning the bin contents
for a while. My garden is a nursery then - aaaw !

Your compost heap does sound a bit dry, but if it is working, as you say
it
is, then it's fairly OK, perhaps?

Slow worms eat plenty of garden pests, so they are 'gardeners' friends'.

Yus, and they're very attractive and dare I say it at the risk of sounding
girlie ... cute. But then again, most thing animal or reptile or indeed
insect are "cute" as far as I'm concerned. :-)

Rachael

Old 03-09-2004, 12:07 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Rachael Nex" writes:

| Slow worms eat plenty of garden pests, so they are 'gardeners' friends'.
|
| Yus, and they're very attractive and dare I say it at the risk of sounding
| girlie ... cute. But then again, most thing animal or reptile or indeed
| insect are "cute" as far as I'm concerned. :-)

Actually, I think that they are cute, too, says he, beating his
chest like an undernourished and hairless gorilla.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 03-09-2004, 12:38 PM
BAC

"Rachael Nex" wrote in message
. ..

"BAC" wrote in message

slow worms in the bin...

Well, if you deliberately disturb them, you won't be breaking the law,
because they don't enjoy full protection under the Wildlife and
Countryside
Act.

That I was aware of but I don't want to disturb them because I like them,
rather than I am afraid of breaking a law. IYSWIM.

Quite right, too.

They are protected against killing, injury and being traded, however.

So I keep telling my neighbor when he is careless with the strimmer. I

don't
think he cares about them though, sadly.

As you probably know, slow worms mate in May, but retain the eggs in

their
bodies until August/September, about now, in other words, when 6 to 12
live
young are born.

That I didn't know - I knew they mated in May but not that they retained
their eggs.

It might be a good idea to not risk disturbing them for a
few weeks.

Indeed, thanks for the tip. I wouldn't want to disturb them at all even
accidently in that case so - I think I'll resist turning the bin contents
for a while. My garden is a nursery then - aaaw !

It might be. If your heap 'fails', you can always start over later.

Your compost heap does sound a bit dry, but if it is working, as you say
it
is, then it's fairly OK, perhaps?

Slow worms eat plenty of garden pests, so they are 'gardeners' friends'.

Yus, and they're very attractive and dare I say it at the risk of sounding
girlie ... cute. But then again, most thing animal or reptile or indeed
insect are "cute" as far as I'm concerned. :-)

In that case, you are fortunate to have such interesting residents in your
garden.

Old 03-09-2004, 01:57 PM
Victoria Clare

"Rachael Nex" wrote in
:

Slow worms eat plenty of garden pests, so they are 'gardeners'
friends'.

Yus, and they're very attractive and dare I say it at the risk of
sounding girlie ... cute. But then again, most thing animal or reptile
or indeed insect are "cute" as far as I'm concerned. :-)

Wait till you see the baby ones! Little wrigglers that look as if they are
made of fresh-minted copper - really beautiful.

I believe they are quite sensitive to noise and vibrations, so with a bit
of luck should be able to detect the careless strimmer approaching and take
cover.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill