Old 02-09-2004, 12:52 AM
Phisherman

On 1 Sep 2004 15:27:04 -0700, (JW) wrote:

I am going to plant a "commemoration" sugar maple at the front of my
house. I can only place it 15 feet away from the foundation. My father
said the root might cause problems to the foundation, and this will
happen within ten fifteen years.

My research does not indicates that Sugar Maple have invasive roots.
May be my old man was thinking of a Norway Maple, which look similar
to a sugar maple during summer.

Does anybody has experience with planting a sugar maple not too far
away from a house ? Does that cause you any trouble ?

Sugar Maples (Acer Saccharum) are not known to have invasive roots,
unlike Silver Maple. I think you should be okay with 15 feet
clearance. Sugar Maple trees grow best with lots of space surrounding
them. My sugar maple is now 40 feet tall, after 10 years--beautiful
tree and nice golden color leaves in the fall. They are somewhat slow
growers, prefer full sun, moist soil.