Old 01-09-2004, 11:27 PM
JW

Default sugar maple problem

I am going to plant a "commemoration" sugar maple at the front of my
house. I can only place it 15 feet away from the foundation. My father
said the root might cause problems to the foundation, and this will
happen within ten fifteen years.

My research does not indicates that Sugar Maple have invasive roots.
May be my old man was thinking of a Norway Maple, which look similar
to a sugar maple during summer.

Does anybody has experience with planting a sugar maple not too far
away from a house ? Does that cause you any trouble ?
Old 02-09-2004, 02:42 PM
JW

Thanks for sharing your experience. I wonder if you know if this tree
can be pruned to keep it relatively small. Since the tree is only 15
feet from my house, I want to keep it within 25 feet tall and may be
aroun 25 feet wide. Otherwise if I let it grow naturally, because of
it's vicinity to the house it might turn into sort of a ugly
'columnar' shape which is out of proportion.

Sugar Maples (Acer Saccharum) are not known to have invasive roots,
unlike Silver Maple. I think you should be okay with 15 feet
clearance. Sugar Maple trees grow best with lots of space surrounding
them. My sugar maple is now 40 feet tall, after 10 years--beautiful
tree and nice golden color leaves in the fall. They are somewhat slow
growers, prefer full sun, moist soil.

Old 02-09-2004, 11:09 PM
GrampysGurl

My research does not indicates that Sugar Maple have invasive roots.
May be my old man was thinking of a Norway Maple, which look similar
to a sugar maple during summer.

Does anybody has experience with planting a sugar maple not too far
away from a house ? Does that cause you any trouble ?

I know if your sewer pipes aren't the new PVC stuff they can get in there and
cause major issues.... My last Thanksgiving was just such a joy eyeroll

Colleen
Zone 5 CT

Old 03-09-2004, 08:48 AM
gregpresley

There is at least one variety of sugar maple bred to be narrow - nearly
columnar in shape. It would make more sense to have a "skinnier" tree in
your circumstance, since the normal spread of a sugar maple is probably at
least 20 feet on either side of the trunk. I'll try to look up the variety
name. Ok, here's at least one " Goldspire"
http://hort.ifas.ufl.edu/trees/ACESACF.pdf
15 feet across 35 to 40 feet tall - it appears to be wider at the base
branches than at the top, if that is your preference..