Old 30-08-2004, 01:10 AM
Michael Persiano

In a message dated 8/29/2004 1:15:34 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:
One
caveat with fertilizing, however, is that a Kingsville will sometimes respond
with larger growth, so if that happens it might be necessary to back off on
fertilizer.

I don't know where the 1/8" to 1/4" growth a year thing came from, Michael,
but I've gotten more growth than that. It is a truly satisfying cultivar to
work with, especially in a climate such as mine where they will not winter
safely outdoors. I keep mine outside until around early December, then bring them
in and keep them under fluorescent
lights--very close to the lights. This helps in quicker development because
you extend the growing season.
Craig:

My preference is to winter Kingsville in a cold environment at around
35-degrees Fahrenheit. As you know, they do quite well in your neck of the woods as
fielded material for bonsai.

On another note, I would suggest that the larger leaves on the Kingsville are
the result of a little too much water and not the result of fertilizing. I
will post the styled tree for Bonsai Europe with a close up of the foliage--the
result of intensive feedings throughout the 2004 growing season.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: