Old 29-08-2004, 06:15 PM
Craig Cowing

Michael Persiano wrote:

Kitsune writes:

snip

I have a Kinsville Box that just sits there. It has
sat there now for about 10-15 years in a 10 gallon
can, super fed underfed, no difference.

snip

Kitsune:

I am about the publish an article in Bonsai Europe on the styling of a 50 year old Kingsville. The tree went through a drastic styling (the first) in the spring of 2004. The combination of fast-draining soil and Superfeeding (my method) has resulted in remarkable growth--even for this species that is reputed to grow at 1/8-1/4 inch per year.

snip
Kingsville, when motivated, will grow like weeds.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob

I have had the same experience with Kingsville. I have three of them and now a pile of cuttings. Last year I bought two 2 gallon specimens that had been grown outdoors in Maryland. The nursery guy started them himself from cuttings and knew exactly how old they are--now 42 years--the same age as Anita! (am I allowed to reveal that info?)
Anyway, I have been fertilizing these along with my other trees and have had tremendous growth and development of pads. I cut them down this spring and potted them in pots, and one will be ready for display at our wedding in October. With repeated manicuring I have found that it is possible to develop well-defined pads in a couple of years. One
caveat with fertilizing, however, is that a Kingsville will sometimes respond with larger growth, so if that happens it might be necessary to back off on fertilizer.

I don't know where the 1/8" to 1/4" growth a year thing came from, Michael, but I've gotten more growth than that. It is a truly satisfying cultivar to work with, especially in a climate such as mine where they will not winter safely outdoors. I keep mine outside until around early December, then bring them in and keep them under fluorescent
lights--very close to the lights. This helps in quicker development because you extend the growing season.

Craig Cowing
NY
zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++