Old 28-08-2004, 11:32 PM
Clanorchid

Dear Group;

It seems that by adding calcium nitrate to your final rinse water when
cleaning CHC (or any coir product, for that matter), the ion-exchange strips
the NaCl from the CHC much more thoroughly than does clear water.

FWIW, also gives leaf strength to Cats. and Phals. when used as a "Spring
Tonic", just as the orchids are going into their new growth cycle. We use a
tsp. per gal spray, three times in the spring alternating with regular
fertilizing. Pretty much eliminates "black mush rot" in emerging Cat
psuedobulbs and Phal leaves.

Epsom Salts, in our experience, helps the plants deal with heat stress and aids
in photosynthesis. Teaspoon per gallon spray, once a month. Spring (March in SW
FL) to Fall (Late November in FL).

Jerry

Camp Lot A Noise Tropicals (C. L. A. N.)
Orchid Species, Hybrids, Supplies, Photos and Books
Chat (941) 352-2483 Fax: (941) 351-2483 X 123 Order Only 1-800-351-CITE