Old 30-08-2004, 04:39 AM
orchids3

What is FWIW?

"K Barrett" wrote in message news:KEmYc.64939$9d6.20844@attbi_s54...
Jerry,

Any idea what gives strength to catt flower stems? I've had nothing but
trouble getting them to emerge from the sheath and grow tall. Plants that
displayed well from the vendor now barely make it out of sheath, and when
they do immediately bend over an point to the ground. So its something I'm
not doing right. This year only my blues are producing nice stems (Sir
Jeremiah Coleman and Blue Boy) Everything else didn't.

I used to think it might be water pH. Before this year I used straight tap
water (8.5 - 9.0 pH) and infrequently fertilized. But this year I've been
very good about fertilizing and they are still weak.

Someone mentioned maybe too much light, so the stems don't emerge from the
sheath. Someone mentioned that commercially when catts begin to flower they
move them to a flowering table where light conditions change

So I'm puzzled. Any input from others?

K Barrett
"Clanorchid" wrote in message
Dear Group;

It seems that by adding calcium nitrate to your final rinse water when
cleaning CHC (or any coir product, for that matter), the ion-exchange

strips
the NaCl from the CHC much more thoroughly than does clear water.

FWIW, also gives leaf strength to Cats. and Phals. when used as a "Spring
Tonic", just as the orchids are going into their new growth cycle. We use

tsp. per gal spray, three times in the spring alternating with regular
fertilizing. Pretty much eliminates "black mush rot" in emerging Cat
psuedobulbs and Phal leaves.

Epsom Salts, in our experience, helps the plants deal with heat stress and

aids
in photosynthesis. Teaspoon per gallon spray, once a month. Spring (March

in SW
FL) to Fall (Late November in FL).

Jerry

Camp Lot A Noise Tropicals (C. L. A. N.)
Orchid Species, Hybrids, Supplies, Photos and Books
Chat (941) 352-2483 Fax: (941) 351-2483 X 123 Order Only 1-800-351-CITE