Old 28-08-2004, 07:29 PM
Roy

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 14:22:18 -0400, "Gareee©"
wrote:

=== Sometimes fish will jump if the water parameters are off. Check your
=== temperature, ammonia, Ph, etc.
===
===I remember reading long ago, that the main reason for jumping was too high
===temperatures.
===
===Where do you live, and is this in full sun?
===
===I'm betting they are just too hot.
===
===
===My wife turned the heater up in our aquarium last year too high, and after 3
===jumped out, I finally remembered to check the temp.
===
===It was about 10 degrees hotter then the highest it should have been.
===
===I lower the temperature, and we haven't had a problem since then.
===
===Gareee© (Gareee "at" Charter "dot" net)
===Homepage:
===http://www.fortunecity.com/tattooine.../mainframe.htm
===Custom Figures, Wallpapers and more!
===

Alabama, nope the water temp is abaout 74 deg, it has shade and sun
and throughout the day it will get 3 or so hours sun, and 3 or so
hours shade, then sun again etc etc........but water temp has not gone
up above 76 since it was put there. My other fish in a small pond have
water approx 78 deg or so, get more full sun and never made any
attempt to junmp out. All the jumps were very early in the morning, or
late evening.......and fish were new to container, and placed there
initially at night but did have underwater lights, but I think they
just did not know their suroundings, and miss judged water depth or
size of container etc........My water is fine........I chalked it up
to just new fish and one of those things.

I have the situation under control now, as I just finished making a
fish fence for the majority of the barrel, and a higher ledge with
flowers behind it, plus strategically relocated some aquatic plants
that will hinder their ability to jump in the one area.

Hate to have to put the fish fence on the barrel as it takes away the
barrels looks, but I guess its a small price to pay if you want fish
in the container.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.