Old 28-08-2004, 01:13 PM
Roy

Default Fish out of water...survivability? UPDATE!

Well the fish seemed to do fine after its attempt at being a land
dweller, however, it did it again, but this time it was not so
fortunate and I did not find it soon enough. I now installed a "Fish
Fence" around the top edge of the barrel half constructed out of 1/2
x 1/2 black plastic hardware cloth. Its attached with small wire clips
to the liners llip and extends about 7 or so inches up.....all around
the liner except for where the board the hand pump is mounted to is
at. This moring the wife came home from work and took a look at the
fish, Last night I went and bought a replacement Shubunkin to replace
the Red / White comet, and she requested a shubunkin instead of
another Red & White and to get one with more red or orange than black
on it. I did and she remarked it was a pretty fish......We drank a cup
of coffee, and decided to go set outside and watch the fish and have
another cup. All we seen was two, the third (newest) fish was not
coming into sight at all......but it was 30 minutes earlier when she
first got home. Then I spotted it laying behind the
barrel.........another wanna be land dweller. Placed it back in pond
moved it back and forth and off it swam, hanging mostly under the
pumps discharge (more O2 I assume), so once again its a awaiting game
to see if this one is gonna make it.......The other two are just fine,
and evidently they like their new home........Now its time to make
some kind of barrier thats presentable in front of the hand pumps
mounting board, or perhaps add a flower pot on each side....The fish
only had about a 6" space on each side of the pump it could jump out
of around the entire circumference of ther barrel half, and low and
behold it did!

And I thought I was done making fences when I got rid of the cows! Now
its fish fences ;-).
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Old 28-08-2004, 06:02 PM
George

"Roy" wrote in message
[...]

Sometimes fish will jump if the water parameters are off. Check your
temperature, ammonia, Ph, etc.

Old 28-08-2004, 07:22 PM
Gareee©

Sometimes fish will jump if the water parameters are off. Check your
temperature, ammonia, Ph, etc.

I remember reading long ago, that the main reason for jumping was too high
temperatures.

Where do you live, and is this in full sun?

I'm betting they are just too hot.

My wife turned the heater up in our aquarium last year too high, and after 3
jumped out, I finally remembered to check the temp.

It was about 10 degrees hotter then the highest it should have been.

I lower the temperature, and we haven't had a problem since then.

Gareee© (Gareee "at" Charter "dot" net)
Homepage:
http://www.fortunecity.com/tattooine.../mainframe.htm
Custom Figures, Wallpapers and more!

Old 28-08-2004, 07:29 PM
Roy

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 14:22:18 -0400, "Gareee©"
wrote:

=== Sometimes fish will jump if the water parameters are off. Check your
=== temperature, ammonia, Ph, etc.
===
[...]

Alabama, nope the water temp is abaout 74 deg, it has shade and sun
and throughout the day it will get 3 or so hours sun, and 3 or so
hours shade, then sun again etc etc........but water temp has not gone
up above 76 since it was put there. My other fish in a small pond have
water approx 78 deg or so, get more full sun and never made any
attempt to junmp out. All the jumps were very early in the morning, or
late evening.......and fish were new to container, and placed there
initially at night but did have underwater lights, but I think they
just did not know their suroundings, and miss judged water depth or
size of container etc........My water is fine........I chalked it up
to just new fish and one of those things.

I have the situation under control now, as I just finished making a
fish fence for the majority of the barrel, and a higher ledge with
flowers behind it, plus strategically relocated some aquatic plants
that will hinder their ability to jump in the one area.

Hate to have to put the fish fence on the barrel as it takes away the
barrels looks, but I guess its a small price to pay if you want fish
in the container.
Old 28-08-2004, 09:02 PM
Ka30P

Roy wrote All the jumps were very early in the morning, or
late evening....

Do you have the pump feature running all night?

kathy :-)
algae primer

Old 29-08-2004, 04:31 AM
Roy

On 28 Aug 2004 20:02:03 GMT, EROSPAM (Ka30P) wrote:

===Roy wrote All the jumps were very early in the morning, or
===late evening....
===
===Do you have the pump feature running all night?
===
===
===kathy :-)
===algae primer
===

Yep, runs 24/7

I used to have a gold fish that used to try and jump up into the 1/2"
pipe that filled the one small container pond by my large pond. It was
like this fish was obsessed with trying to get up into that fill pipe.
I have water constantly pumped into this pond, and it flows out over a
spillway (with a barricade to restrain the fish in the pond, and then
down a stream and over the water fall and returned to the pond. So
water is always being run through this small 8 or 10 gal; preformed
pond. The fish eventually must have done himself in as onne day he was
floating on the top dead as could be. He kept this action up
constantly, like a salmon trying to swim upstream against thr rapids
etc....all the other fish were content, but that joker.