Old 04-09-2004, 12:49 PM
Craig Cowing

Iris Cohen wrote:

I was sure it wasn't but I think its basically down to watering and my lack
of it.
But now that its grown back the leaf size has increased

As long as it's alive, don't worry. At your latitude, remember that even though
it is still warm, you have several hours less of daylight now than you did in
June. Also, new growth will tend to have larger leaves than older mature
growth. As the tree stabilizes, the leaf size will tend to get smaller. Don't
try to reduce leaf size now until the tree is healthy.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

I know this has been covered before, but the whole thing of leaf size is good to
bring up again. At first I was concerned about reducing the size of leaves, then
realized that while a tree is in development it is good to have larger leaves to
help in growth. With my deciduous trees in training, mostly collected, I fertilize
the living devil out of them and they respond with large leaves. I'm not a
scientist, but it would seem as though larger leaves would mean more photosynthesis
which hopefully would translate into more growth. Has anyone actually studied
this?

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37