Old 03-09-2004, 09:01 PM
John Kingscott

Default increase leaf size

My little acer always seems to die off. I was sure it wasn't but I think its
basically down to watering and my lack of it. But now that its grown back
the leaf size has increased - is this down to my care or something else?

John
uk

Old 03-09-2004, 09:35 PM
Jim Lewis

On 3 Sep 2004 at 20:01, John Kingscott wrote:

My little acer always seems to die off. I was sure it wasn't but I think its
basically down to watering and my lack of it. But now that its grown back
the leaf size has increased - is this down to my care or something else?

We could answer this better if we knew something about the tree
and the care you have been giving it.

Where do you keep it? Inside? Outside? In and Out?
What soil is it in?
How often do you water? How do you water?
How much light does it have?
How often do you fertilize?
How long have you had this tree?
Which Acer is it?
Is it your _only_ tree?

My guess will be that it is your care -- somehow. Large leaves
indicate (at least partially) a struggle to survive.

Note that large leaves don't really matter until you want to
display your tree.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Bonsaiests
are like genealogists: We know our roots!

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 04-09-2004, 12:22 AM
kevin bailey

I agree with Jim but would add that things are not always cut and dried.
I have a forest of about 15 airlayered Japanese mountain maples. Another
layer, from the same genetic parent was added to the forest this spring.
It went into exactly the same soil mix, was fertilised the same, had the
same light, temperature and care. It grew leaves double the size of the
parent plant and four times the size of the others in the same forest
dish. Next year, I anticipate they will start to equal out. It may take
some time but I'm certain it will blend in eventually.

Yours may just need the correct conditions. Give us the details and
we'll do our best to help.

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

********
********
--
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 04-09-2004, 03:31 AM
Iris Cohen

I was sure it wasn't but I think its basically down to watering and my lack
of it.
But now that its grown back the leaf size has increased

As long as it's alive, don't worry. At your latitude, remember that even though
it is still warm, you have several hours less of daylight now than you did in
June. Also, new growth will tend to have larger leaves than older mature
growth. As the tree stabilizes, the leaf size will tend to get smaller. Don't
try to reduce leaf size now until the tree is healthy.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Old 04-09-2004, 12:49 PM
Craig Cowing

Iris Cohen wrote:

I was sure it wasn't but I think its basically down to watering and my lack
of it.
But now that its grown back the leaf size has increased

As long as it's alive, don't worry. At your latitude, remember that even though
it is still warm, you have several hours less of daylight now than you did in
June. Also, new growth will tend to have larger leaves than older mature
growth. As the tree stabilizes, the leaf size will tend to get smaller. Don't
try to reduce leaf size now until the tree is healthy.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

I know this has been covered before, but the whole thing of leaf size is good to
bring up again. At first I was concerned about reducing the size of leaves, then
realized that while a tree is in development it is good to have larger leaves to
help in growth. With my deciduous trees in training, mostly collected, I fertilize
the living devil out of them and they respond with large leaves. I'm not a
scientist, but it would seem as though larger leaves would mean more photosynthesis
which hopefully would translate into more growth. Has anyone actually studied
this?

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 05-09-2004, 11:44 AM
John Kingscott

eek..
My lovely bonsai database seems to have disappeared but no matter - I don't
have many trees.
I wasn't sure of the type of acer palmatum it was but I think reading this
main problems have been water and light. I kept it outside and was in a
fairly sunny spot.
When it died back, and I'm pretty sure this was due to watering and my lack
of it, I put it in a shadier spot and watered it well. I guess that these
factors combined have increased the leaf size. It needs a load more care in
the future.
On a similar note I have another acer that I have been trying to reduce the
leaf size for years. Its a standard acer, pretty healthy. Every year I
defoliate, every year they come back as big as ever!

John

****

****

Old 05-09-2004, 02:38 PM
Iris Cohen

My lovely bonsai database seems to have disappeared

Have you tried FileMaker? And ALWAYS keep a backup.

I have another acer that I have been trying to reduce the leaf size for
years. Its a standard acer, pretty healthy. Every year I defoliate, every year
they come back as big as ever!

What species is it? Where do you keep it? When do you defoliate? Do you reduce
fertilizer right after defoliating?