Old 04-09-2004, 08:34 PM
Mike Lyle

Rod wrote in message . ..
On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 08:22:47 +0000 (UTC), " Jeanne Stockdale"
wrote:

We are looking for a second hand tractor (and rotavator) for our
smallholding. Originally we were looking at Fergies but these don't really
go slow enough for rotavating. We have now been drawn to the Kubota or Iseki
compact tractor - we have sourced one Iseki with rotavator and wonder if
anyone has any experience of this make/model - 2160.

Jeanne Stockdale

We've been running little Kubotas for over 10 yrs now (B1750HST &
B2150HST) and we love 'em. These 17 & 21HP tractors are just big
enough to operate a very useful range of kit (and don't forget to
budget for the kit, without the implements your tractor is just a slow
way of riding around the holding). These models are now old enough to
be reasonable prices S/H. The 35 is OK if you have the room, and
implements are cheap but compacts are much more user friendly and
versatile in confined spaces, and yes a lot more expensive. Get one
with 4WD and front loader, you won't regret it. If you have any weight
on the back of a 35 it's likely to go straight on when you want to
turn, that's a common drawback of 2wd tractors if you haven't put any
weights on the front. Just a few random thoughts but I hope they help.

How do the Kubotas etc stand up in second-hand condition? I think of
the MF (let alone the dear old grey Fergie, which I sadly agree is now
only for collectors: wish I hadn't flogged mine quite so soon!) as fit
for a couple of generations. Do the Japanese ones last that long? (A
genuine question, not sarky: I really don't know - my Nissan Bluebird
was going on for ever till the boy..er..remodelled it.) I know there's
a space issue at the headlands, of course.

(As you say, you can always add weights to the front of 2wds: don't
you just love those elegant plastic barrels full of concrete?)

The warning to budget for the tackle is very wise: it must enter into
the calculations.

Mike.