Old 04-09-2004, 09:01 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Phil L" contains these words:

Just a quick one:
I planted some chilli seeds from some dried chillis which I got from Spain
last year...I wasn't really expecting them to grow but they did...I planted
them because the chillis we get over here are not hot enough for me and
these have a nice flavour too, even dried...anyway, I planted 15 seeds and
12 of them grew, they shot up to about six inches and stopped, round about
July, since then they have grown about 3 inches and I have repotted them in
9 inch pots, two plants in each - they haven't flowered or anything but the
stems are quite woody and sturdy, which makes me think that they may last a
few years?

I have three jalapino plants which supply me with more than I need: one
each in a 7" pot, and fed with Tomorite.

Does anyone know if they will survive the winter so that I may get some
fruit from them next summer or are they doomed to the compost heap? - they
have strong foilage and roots too.

Since chillis are perenniels they will survive the winter as long as you
keep them warm enough. Mine live on the windowsill of my front room in
the winter, where they happily (though not rapidly) continue cropping.

Give them plenty of water and some fertiliser from time to time and they
should be fine.

When they begin getting a bit straggly, you can prune them, and they
will grow new scions from the stem, or any remaining nodes.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/