Old 06-09-2004, 11:16 AM
David Hill

Amber asked...." I have some white flowered purple striped beans labled as
dwarf French (Tamila) but they seem to flat for French and when I opened
them up they just looked like they would grow to be broad beans. How do I
tell the difference and can I just pick non swelled pods and cook them as
whole pods?..."

I have never come across a broad bean with purple striped seed.
I would say that what you have is one of the Flat poded climbing French
beans, pick whilst still flat and slice as normal before cooling.
"Green beans" is just a term used to cover a range of beans used green and
sliced.
You will find many names for Runner beans, string beans , kidney beans etc
etc.

If you look at this link you will see a picture of broad beans, don't worry
about the flower colour, normally broad beans are white flowered.

http://www.allotments.btinternet.co.uk/pic6.htm

As for green grocer talking of Bobby beans, this is why

" French Bean Bobis"

Climbing French bean with black seeds. Plant 180-190cms tall, vigorous and
very productive. Green pod, with beans held in bunches (like grapes), pencil
pod, meaty, stringless and about 12cms long

Another interesting link is
http://www.seedsofitaly.sagenet.co.uk/mercurio.htm

--
David Hill