Old 06-09-2004, 11:23 AM
Amber Ormerod

"Steve Harris" wrote in message
Broad beans usually have grey-green foliage and grow to about 3-4 feet.
The stems are noticeably square and about 1/2 inch across. The pods get
to 1/2 or more across.

I am really thinking these might be broad beans cos of the fact that when
tiny tiny they look rounded but as soon as they are the size of even small
green/french beans they are flatter. The position of the beans in the pod
also make me think broad.

Are immature broad bean pods eatable like those flat beans you get also
called yard long beans?

French beans have mid-green leaves and grow to about a foot (or climb to
5' plus). Pods rarely get above 1/2 inch across.

The french beans I planted were dwarf. I planted broad beans and dwarf
french but only one type of plant is there now and they are at least 6 foot
tall.

I would be more helpful and take pictures but I don't know how to upload
them to our web site, housemate whose away does that.