Old 06-09-2004, 12:08 PM
Sacha

On 6/9/04 11:24 am, in article , "Amber Ormerod"
wrote:

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
. ..

I am thinking of putting a hedge in my front garden.

I would like an evergreen, mixed cottage garden style hedge with
flowers coming through.

snip

You might like to think about Fuchsia ricartonii.

I agree with that, I planted a Fuchsia ricartonii hedge and it is
absolutely beautiful.

is its a good hedging for wildlife? I am trying to double the depth of my
hedge and convert it to a wildlife friendly hedge.

It won't be as wide or dense a hedge as e.g. Yew or holly but we find the
bees love them and certainly birds use them for cover. If you're trying to
widen a hedge, planting Fuchsia in front of it would be a good way to do it,
IMO and you have the bonus of the flowers.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk