Old 06-09-2004, 02:14 PM
Chris[_1_] Chris[_1_] is offline
Registered User

I have recently moved a 2 year old cherry, and a much older plum with success in both cases.

The cherry was really easy as it's root system was small enough to dig the whole lot out, and we (or the pidgeons) have had good crops of fruit for the last 2 years.

The plumw was more tricky. It had obviously been planted many years ago (it was about 20 ft high) between garage and fence in a 2 ft wide strip of soil - hence the need to move it. Consequently I lost a lot of the root system due to impossibility of digging out, but I also had to cut back the tree as well (to be able to lift it !). I tried to keep as much soil on the roots as possible when moving, and watered it thoroughly and frequently after replanting. To my amazement it sprouted many new branches this year (I moved it about 1 year ago), and although we had no fruit this year I am confident that we will do in the future.

If a gardening duffer like me can do it I am sure that your trees will be OK !

Good luck