Old 15-08-2004, 02:12 PM
Broadback

Default Can I save my fruit trees?

I have 2 pear espaliers, 1 sweet cherry, 1 plum and one peach all fan
trees. All planted bare rooted 3 years ago when they were about 2 years
old,they are in deep beds beneath south facing walls.

The walls have to be replaced, this will be done over the Winter and
will take several weeks. Is there any chance saving these trees to
replant under the new walls? If so any advice on how I should approach it?

If there is little chance of their survival I would rather cut my losses
and plant new this winter. I would love to hear from someone who has
tried this successfully or otherwise.
TIA
John
--
Please do not reply by Email, as all
emails to this address are automatically deleted.
Old 15-08-2004, 03:38 PM
nambucca

"Broadback" wrote in message
I have 2 pear espaliers, 1 sweet cherry, 1 plum and one peach all fan
trees. All planted bare rooted 3 years ago when they were about 2 years
old,they are in deep beds beneath south facing walls.

The walls have to be replaced, this will be done over the Winter and
will take several weeks. Is there any chance saving these trees to
replant under the new walls? If so any advice on how I should approach

it?

If there is little chance of their survival I would rather cut my losses
and plant new this winter. I would love to hear from someone who has
tried this successfully or otherwise.
TIA
John
--
Please do not reply by Email, as all
emails to this address are automatically deleted.

Theres no reason why you cant move these trees in the autumn
The Victorians moved fruit trees all the time to get best fruiting

We have moved fruit trees without loss too

Dig out a largish area around the tree and severe roots as you go

When the root ball is free wrap in a dustbin liner and sacking and keep just
moist in frost free area

Replant in large holes with lots of compost ASAP

Old 15-08-2004, 05:56 PM
gary smith

Theres no reason why you cant move these trees in the autumn
The Victorians moved fruit trees all the time to get best fruiting

We have moved fruit trees without loss too

Dig out a largish area around the tree and severe roots as you go

When the root ball is free wrap in a dustbin liner and sacking and keep just
moist in frost free area

Replant in large holes with lots of compost ASAP

Yes should be no problem, I moved a 10 year old Bramley last winter.

Yes I dug it out trying for a large rootball, after severing the large
roots.

The problem I then found was that all the soil dropped away as it was
moved, as there was very few fiberous roots to create a rootball, only
3 or 4 large roots.

Always give the roots a good soaking when planting and do not allow
them to dry out if you are storing the tree for a bit.

This year it does not look very pleased with itself, but its got green
leaves.
Old 06-09-2004, 02:14 PM
Registered User

I have recently moved a 2 year old cherry, and a much older plum with success in both cases.

The cherry was really easy as it's root system was small enough to dig the whole lot out, and we (or the pidgeons) have had good crops of fruit for the last 2 years.

The plumw was more tricky. It had obviously been planted many years ago (it was about 20 ft high) between garage and fence in a 2 ft wide strip of soil - hence the need to move it. Consequently I lost a lot of the root system due to impossibility of digging out, but I also had to cut back the tree as well (to be able to lift it !). I tried to keep as much soil on the roots as possible when moving, and watered it thoroughly and frequently after replanting. To my amazement it sprouted many new branches this year (I moved it about 1 year ago), and although we had no fruit this year I am confident that we will do in the future.

If a gardening duffer like me can do it I am sure that your trees will be OK !

Good luck