Old 06-09-2004, 03:12 PM
Amber Ormerod

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Amber Ormerod
writes

I am really thinking these might be broad beans cos of the fact that when
tiny tiny they look rounded but as soon as they are the size of even

small
green/french beans they are flatter. The position of the beans in the pod
also make me think broad.

Broad beans don't change their proportions as they grow, they merely get
bumpier. They start by sticking upwards, and when ready for picking turn
downwards.

Are immature broad bean pods eatable like those flat beans you get also
called yard long beans?

French beans have mid-green leaves and grow to about a foot (or climb

5' plus). Pods rarely get above 1/2 inch across.

The french beans I planted were dwarf. I planted broad beans and dwarf
french but only one type of plant is there now and they are at least 6

foot
tall.

I've never known a broad bean grow remotely near 6 ft.

the leaf colour and texture should clinch it - broad bean leaves are
smooth and greyish; french bean leaves are rough and green.

Also look at the stems - broad bean stems are self supporting, about
half an inch thick and square, and the same colour as the leaves. French
bean stems are thin and brownish.

They are definatly more viney thank the pictures I have seen of broad beans.
I just found this:
'Fench bean pods can be spotted and striped, mottled or plain - any colour
from waxy yellow through deep green to rich pansy purples. Borlotto and Rob
Splash are good examples of climbing Dragon's Toungue beans, with marvellous
flat pods stippled scarlet. They can be eaten as a green bean or allowed to
ripen, when the green of the pods become a beautiful amber gold while the
red intensifies in colour - the French call this stage of beans demi-sec -
when they can be eaten at once or frozen. These beans are also a popular
ingredient in West Indian cooking. Other spectacular climbing beans include
the mauve flowered Viola di Cornetti which has purple pods (they turn green
when cooked) and the yellow flat-podded climber Marvel of Venice which is
somewhat tender. ' which is making me think it might be the french bean.
Funny to have all one plant fail and the others be ok.