Old 07-09-2004, 11:45 AM
Spider

Cat wrote in message
3 months ago, I planted a pyracantha, a hypericum, a pieris "forest flame"
and another wee thing with small yellow flowers (note the science bit

here),
and two small tender fuschias in a small-ish bed (3 m x 3 m) which is
primarily used as a herb garden and is located on my patio. All plants

are
thriving, but the herbs really need the whole of the bed, so I am thinking
of moving the non-herbs to a bed where they would have room to fully

expand
in due course.
When is the right time to do this?
Also, should I pot the fuschias and keep them indoors? (I am in the

Eastern
part of the Midlands of Ireland)
TIA!

--
Cat(h)
The world swirls...

Hi Cath,

You certainly need to pot up the tender fuchsias and over-winter them in a
frost-free place. Keep them on the dry side - just enough water to keep
them ticking over.
You can move the shrubs any time between now and March. However, don't
attempt it in really frosty conditions. Take as big a root ball as you can
manage (they won't be really established yet, anyway); once re-planted (with
a little bonemeal), keep up with the watering.

The pieris, as you probably know, prefers an acid soil. The pyracantha is
very tolerant, but also enjoys an acid feed from time to time. However, you
should not start feeding again until spring. The bonemeal (added at
planting time) promotes root growth, so that's okay.

I've no idea what your mystery yellow-flowering shrub is, so please read
this as a 'not guilty' caveat, just in case something goes wrong!

Good luck,
Spider