Old 08-09-2004, 10:52 PM
Chris

Yes, actually, you can.
The flower part works it way down a really long stalk and produces bananas
as it grows. You can easily see where it stops producing fruit and chop the
flower thingy off well below that. The tree somehow knows how many bananas
to produce - maybe from the weight or who knows. But after its last row of
bananas, no more will be produced from the flowers even though the big red
flower thing keeps producing the flowers. Someone has already posted an
informative link on bananas and their fruit. Go read up on that.
Chris

"MrChaos007" wrote in message
GwßdE wrote:
Hello All! I am in Houston, TX and have a banana tree flowering and
producing fruit. The red flower part is very heavy and making the tree

lean from all the weight. Can I cut the red flowering part off and

still
have the fruit grow successful?

Thanks for all your help!

*rdbe

NO! The flower makes the fruit. Support the tree!