Old 05-09-2004, 08:44 PM
GwßdE

Default Banana Tree - Help

Hello All! I am in Houston, TX and have a banana tree flowering and
producing fruit. The red flower part is very heavy and making the tree to
lean from all the weight. Can I cut the red flowering part off and still
have the fruit grow successful?

Thanks for all your help!

*rdbe

Old 06-09-2004, 06:02 AM
Lou Minatti

"GwßdE" wrote in message ...
Hello All! I am in Houston, TX and have a banana tree flowering and
producing fruit. The red flower part is very heavy and making the tree to
lean from all the weight. Can I cut the red flowering part off and still
have the fruit grow successful?

Yes. In fact, it would be a good idea to do so if you want edible bananas.
http://www.kprcradio.com/gardenline-bananas.html
Old 08-09-2004, 06:20 PM
MrChaos007

GwßdE wrote:
Hello All! I am in Houston, TX and have a banana tree flowering and
producing fruit. The red flower part is very heavy and making the tree to
lean from all the weight. Can I cut the red flowering part off and still
have the fruit grow successful?

Thanks for all your help!

*rdbe

NO! The flower makes the fruit. Support the tree!

Old 08-09-2004, 10:52 PM
Chris

Yes, actually, you can.
The flower part works it way down a really long stalk and produces bananas
as it grows. You can easily see where it stops producing fruit and chop the
flower thingy off well below that. The tree somehow knows how many bananas
to produce - maybe from the weight or who knows. But after its last row of
bananas, no more will be produced from the flowers even though the big red
flower thing keeps producing the flowers. Someone has already posted an
informative link on bananas and their fruit. Go read up on that.
Chris

Banana Tree - Help GwßdE Gardening 10 02-10-2004 07:36 PM
Banana Tree Question Stan Gardening 4 06-11-2003 01:12 AM
Banana tree leaves turn brown! Why? BOB Edible Gardening 2 27-04-2003 11:08 PM
Banana tree leaves turn brown! Why? TOM KAN PA Gardening 2 27-04-2003 09:44 PM
Help Banana Tree Michael Light Texas 5 18-04-2003 06:08 PM