Old 08-09-2004, 07:22 PM
Phil L

Mike Lyle wrote:
:: Jaques d'Alltrades wrote in
:: message . uk...
::: The message
::: from (Mike Lyle) contains these words:
:::
:::: Ones that have fruited should certainly do so again the following
:::: year; and, as Rusty says, you can cut them right down to a node
:::: and they'll shoot up happily, especially if you repot them into
:::: fresh mixture. But I haven't had such good crops the second year
:::: as the first, so if you want a lot it's best to sow fresh every
:::: year (February for me).
:::
::: My jalapinos have cropped better in the second year, strangely,
::: and I am going to have to dry a lot of them.[...]
::
:: Interesting: must be a variety thing, or you're a better gardener
:: than
:: I am. I freeze them, being too lazy to look after drying things.
::
:: Mike.

Drying them is easy, just pull them and put them in a paper bag in a cool
dry place - that's it.
You can then crush them into chilli pepper or use them whole, although they
do need a bit more time to cook and soak up the moisture, also they lose a
bit of flavour.
I've pickled them in the past but found that they had no chilli pepper
attributes after a few months in vinegar - you could eat them like sweets!