Old 08-09-2004, 08:08 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Spider" contains these words:

Before buying any field guide (or killing yourself with dubious fungi!), I
suggest you contact your local wildlife trust. Most arrange 'fungal forays'
during the autumn. If you went along to one of these events, you would be
able to observe an expert mycologist finding and describing fungi and their
hosts. You would also have the opportunity of discussing field guides with
a dedicated user.

I'd agree with everything said except the 'before buying' bit. The two
field guides mentioned are well worth buying whether or not you intend
eating specimens.

My interest began in 1950 and I never went on a foray as such until the
late eighties, and I'm still alive, despite having eaten a good portion
of Agaricus semotus today...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/