Old 08-09-2004, 08:23 AM
Ray Warner

Default Field guide and drying blueberries

Has anyone come across instructions for drying blueberries (and cranberries
for the matter)

Also I want to get hold of a good field guide to funghi, with illustrations
and detailed descriptions etc (no sense in killing myself with my first
gatherings). Any suggestions folks?

Ray Warner
Thomas Etty Esq - Heritage Seedsman
http://www.users.dircon.co.uk/~nfarl...etty/etty.html

Old 08-09-2004, 11:24 AM
ex WGS Hamm

"Ray Warner" wrote in message
Has anyone come across instructions for drying blueberries (and

cranberries
for the matter)

Also I want to get hold of a good field guide to funghi, with

illustrations
and detailed descriptions etc (no sense in killing myself with my first
gatherings). Any suggestions folks?

You can buy a dehydrator for not too much money.
www.mycologue.co.uk
Does all kind of mushroomy things too including books etc.
I bought my dehydrator from him and found him very helpful.Dried cirtus
fruits, apples etc last year and used them in Xmas decorations around the
house.

Old 08-09-2004, 12:28 PM
Spider

Ray Warner wrote in message
Has anyone come across instructions for drying blueberries (and

cranberries
for the matter)

Also I want to get hold of a good field guide to funghi, with

illustrations
and detailed descriptions etc (no sense in killing myself with my first
gatherings). Any suggestions folks?

Ray Warner
Thomas Etty Esq - Heritage Seedsman
http://www.users.dircon.co.uk/~nfarl...etty/etty.html

Hi Ray,

Before buying any field guide (or killing yourself with dubious fungi!), I
suggest you contact your local wildlife trust. Most arrange 'fungal forays'
during the autumn. If you went along to one of these events, you would be
able to observe an expert mycologist finding and describing fungi and their
hosts. You would also have the opportunity of discussing field guides with
a dedicated user.

Spider

Old 08-09-2004, 12:40 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Ray Warner" contains these words:

Has anyone come across instructions for drying blueberries (and cranberries
for the matter)

Also I want to get hold of a good field guide to funghi, with illustrations
and detailed descriptions etc (no sense in killing myself with my first
gatherings). Any suggestions folks?

Others adequately have dealt with the mushroomy bit.

You can dehydrate things by putting them in a net or on a non-corrodible
mesh in a closed container over calcium chloride crystals.

These are available from some hardware shops as refills for moisture-traps.

Water absorbed by the crystals can be driven off later by heating the
crystals (or the fluid, if a lot has been absorbed.)

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 08-09-2004, 08:08 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Spider" contains these words:

Before buying any field guide (or killing yourself with dubious fungi!), I
suggest you contact your local wildlife trust. Most arrange 'fungal forays'
during the autumn. If you went along to one of these events, you would be
able to observe an expert mycologist finding and describing fungi and their
hosts. You would also have the opportunity of discussing field guides with
a dedicated user.

I'd agree with everything said except the 'before buying' bit. The two
field guides mentioned are well worth buying whether or not you intend
eating specimens.

My interest began in 1950 and I never went on a foray as such until the
late eighties, and I'm still alive, despite having eaten a good portion
of Agaricus semotus today...

Old 09-09-2004, 08:37 AM
Franz Heymann

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in
message k...
The message
from "Ray Warner" contains these words:

Has anyone come across instructions for drying blueberries (and

cranberries
for the matter)

Also I want to get hold of a good field guide to funghi, with

illustrations
and detailed descriptions etc (no sense in killing myself with my

first
gatherings). Any suggestions folks?

Others adequately have dealt with the mushroomy bit.

You can dehydrate things by putting them in a net or on a

non-corrodible
mesh in a closed container over calcium chloride crystals.

These are available from some hardware shops as refills for

moisture-traps.

Silica gel packets are more effective.

Water absorbed by the crystals can be driven off later by heating

the
crystals (or the fluid, if a lot has been absorbed.)

Franz

Old 10-09-2004, 10:09 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

You can dehydrate things by putting them in a net or on a

non-corrodible
mesh in a closed container over calcium chloride crystals.

These are available from some hardware shops as refills for

moisture-traps.

Silica gel packets are more effective.

They're certainly less trouble, but I'd dispute the 'more effective'
bit. I bought an old fireproof safe which had been standing outside for
a while, and all my guns began to go rusty in it, so I put half a kilo
of calcium chloride in a two litre plastic bottle, made some extra holes
near the top, and within a month had collected more than a litre of
water which had soaked into the glass fibre lining.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Mashed potatoes Russet or Idaho may matter and oven drying???? Bill who putters Edible Gardening 4 12-04-2010 05:55 PM
[IBC] Bamboo yellowing and drying Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 0 10-08-2005 10:33 AM
Bamboo yellowing and drying GK Bonsai 0 10-08-2005 03:54 AM
Poppies and drying Temprance United Kingdom 4 18-08-2004 01:02 PM
Preserving and drying orchids. Howard Orchids 0 28-01-2003 12:54 AM