Old 07-09-2004, 10:26 AM
Andrew G

Hi there
Going out on a limb here, different to other replies.
Ok, probably stating obvious here, especially to people who probably know
more about bonsai than I do, but moisture content in soil is no indication
of moisutre content in plant. I agree with the replies that a plant that has
moist soil may let the branches bend easier to avoid snapping, due to the
higher moisture content in plant.
My guess is this dry soil v's dryish during wiring is cos during wiring the
plant is going to get a bit of movement. Moist soil may allow the whole root
structure to move, possibly uplifting some roots. On the other hand if the
soil is completely dry then possibly the opposite will happen. You may
fracture or even snap off roots as it doesn't allow movement, and possibly
fracture the trunk.
This is only my guess, but I take it that it refers to root damage as
really, you could have moist soil from a recent water, yet previous to that
it was dry and plant was almost wilted. Yes the soil is moist, but doesn't
mean the plant has high moisture content for wiring, as the plant is yet to
take it up fully. Branches may snap. On the other hand yes the soil may
become dry, maybe after 1 warm day, but the plant has a high moisture
content. It may be fine to water.
Also the soil could be just freshly watered, as compared to dryish. Freshly
watered I would think would be better IF you go with the theory that the
branches will bend better, but bad idea for movement of root ball in soil.
Really if it isn't so much what I am talking about, and more to do with
higher moisture in the plant then books should make references to plant
condition and "watering well in the few days before wiring" rather than soil
moisture content.
I assume it isn't much discussed as it doesn't really matter too much. IMO I
would just make sure plant isn't stressed, soil is anything but "saturated"
so dry to dryish would be ok, and if anything, maybe spray branches with
water from mist bottle to help with bending.
Only thing I've ever read that perhaps isn't too obvious until you hear/read
or experience it, is to not wire a recently rootpruned plant as movement of
it in the soil may damage new root shoots
Cheers
Andrew
--
Mid North Coast
New South Wales

"Pat Patterson" wrote in message
G'day all...

I guess the question should be "how damp should my soil be?".

However, to the point...traditional wisdom tells us that our soil should

be
relatively "dry" when wiring. For example, Tom Zane says in his Syllabus

(4th
ed., 2001) that the soil "...should be relatively dry..."; and, Deborah
Koreshoff says the soil should be "dryish" (to the point that it is due

for
watering), not turgid. I've heard the same thing several times in

lectures,
classes and workshops as recently as 5 years back.

Now, I have recently been told that this thinking is changing...that there
should be more moisture than previously thought, in the soil.

I have researched at least 15 books, plus other sources, and curiously,

the
subject is seldom discussed.

Is the traditional wisdom changing? Is there, in fact, significant

evidence
that indicates more moisture?

Would like to hear your thoughts.

Have a good day...

Pat

Dez of the Arizona High Dezert, at 4550', Oracle, AZ,
2000' above Tucson Sunset Zone 10 USDA Zone 8
aka: Pat Patterson 'riding off in all directions'