Old 10-09-2004, 04:30 AM
Srgnt Billko

"Phil" wrote in message
Bought a used riding Murray mower, have to charge the battery each time
before I use it and always assumed it was a bad battery. I got thinking
about the whole system , how does a riding lawnmower generate the 12 v to
charge the battery? ( I'm assuming they do as it has an ammeter that
doesn't ever move.
If this requires a long explanation of how it works I would be glad to go

a Website that has details , most I went to want to sell manuals , all I
want is basic details and I can figure out the rest.
Thanks ,

Phil

This is not my field of expertise - but I bought a small motor repair manual
20 years ago and I've practically worn the covers off it. Go spend a couple
bucks. I might have gotten mine from JC Whitney but I know Ive seen them in
TSC (Tractor Supply Stores) and I think I've seen them chain automotive
supply shops.

Most of my tractors are over 30 years old and have combination starter /
generators. Some newer small motors generate spark from the flywheel and if
the "magic spot" rusts up it causes a problem. Take the flywheel cover off,
find the "spot" and clean it up.
There are numerous other ways to produce juice.
And I have a farm tractor with the generator disconnected - running off the
battery. I recharge it after 3 or 4 uses.