Old 10-09-2004, 01:08 AM
Phil

Default Riding lawnmower gen. question.

Bought a used riding Murray mower, have to charge the battery each time
before I use it and always assumed it was a bad battery. I got thinking
about the whole system , how does a riding lawnmower generate the 12 v to
charge the battery? ( I'm assuming they do as it has an ammeter that
doesn't ever move.
If this requires a long explanation of how it works I would be glad to go to
a Website that has details , most I went to want to sell manuals , all I
want is basic details and I can figure out the rest.
Thanks ,
Phil

Old 10-09-2004, 04:30 AM
Srgnt Billko

"Phil" wrote in message
Bought a used riding Murray mower, have to charge the battery each time
before I use it and always assumed it was a bad battery. I got thinking
about the whole system , how does a riding lawnmower generate the 12 v to
charge the battery? ( I'm assuming they do as it has an ammeter that
doesn't ever move.
If this requires a long explanation of how it works I would be glad to go

a Website that has details , most I went to want to sell manuals , all I
want is basic details and I can figure out the rest.
Thanks ,

Phil

This is not my field of expertise - but I bought a small motor repair manual
20 years ago and I've practically worn the covers off it. Go spend a couple
bucks. I might have gotten mine from JC Whitney but I know Ive seen them in
TSC (Tractor Supply Stores) and I think I've seen them chain automotive
supply shops.

Most of my tractors are over 30 years old and have combination starter /
generators. Some newer small motors generate spark from the flywheel and if
the "magic spot" rusts up it causes a problem. Take the flywheel cover off,
find the "spot" and clean it up.
There are numerous other ways to produce juice.
And I have a farm tractor with the generator disconnected - running off the
battery. I recharge it after 3 or 4 uses.

Old 10-09-2004, 11:15 AM
Phil

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message

This is not my field of expertise - but I bought a small motor repair

manual
20 years ago and I've practically worn the covers off it. Go spend a

coupl
There are numerous other ways to produce juice.
And I have a farm tractor with the generator disconnected - running off

the
battery. I recharge it after 3 or 4 uses.

Thanks, the idea of using the starter as a generator never occurred to me
.. Mower is about 8 yrs old , if I can get the flywheel off I will take a
look inside this weekend .

Phil

Old 10-09-2004, 01:06 PM
Srgnt Billko

"Phil" wrote in message

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message

This is not my field of expertise - but I bought a small motor repair

manual
20 years ago and I've practically worn the covers off it. Go spend a

coupl
There are numerous other ways to produce juice.
And I have a farm tractor with the generator disconnected - running off

the
battery. I recharge it after 3 or 4 uses.

Thanks, the idea of using the starter as a generator never occurred to

me
. Mower is about 8 yrs old , if I can get the flywheel off I will take a
look inside this weekend .

Phil

Shouldn't have to take the flywheel off - just the cover - the "sweet spot"
is on the outside perimeter usually.

Old 11-09-2004, 01:24 AM
Rasmussan Gilicudy

"Phil" wrote in message
Bought a used riding Murray mower, have to charge the battery each time
before I use it and always assumed it was a bad battery. I got thinking
about the whole system , how does a riding lawnmower generate the 12 v to
charge the battery? ( I'm assuming they do as it has an ammeter that
doesn't ever move.
If this requires a long explanation of how it works I would be glad to go

a Website that has details , most I went to want to sell manuals , all I
want is basic details and I can figure out the rest.
Thanks ,

Phil

More than likely your lawnmower has a magneto that produces power to your
battery. The generator that use to be on older ones aren't used any more to
my knowledge. Like Sgt. Bilko said, you can take the flywheel off and check
the windings to the magneto. There is an air gap that has to be maintained
so check on that also. First, I would check to see if the wire coming down
from the magneto and to your battery is not open. It comes down near the
red cable near the starter. You can check the continuity back to the
battery with an ohm meter if the battery is disconnected.

Old 11-09-2004, 03:13 AM
Chip Stein

Shouldn't have to take the flywheel off - just the cover - the "sweet spot"
is on the outside perimeter usually.

depends on the engine. the alternator is likely under the flywheel,
and runs through a single diode. or it may have a two stage alternator
with one wire feeding the headlights if equipped. find the connector
and check for voltage with the engine running..
Chip
Old 11-09-2004, 01:26 PM
Phil

so check on that also. First, I would check to see if the wire coming

down
from the magneto and to your battery is not open. It comes down near the
red cable near the starter. You can check the continuity back to the
battery with an ohm meter if the battery is disconnected.

Thanks all for the info, sitting here drinking coffee and
procrastinating.

Phil

Old 11-09-2004, 09:05 PM
Danny

This is a good one..

There are two kinds of motors... Ones with an alternater and ones without...

When people see a motor on sale, they buy it, but then after changing it
over they realize that the motor they just bought does not have an
alternater with it.

On the side of the motor you will see an electrical connector.. Follow the
wires from that connecter inside the motor and you will find the
alternater..

You will have to go to your dealer and order the parts inside.. , that is
the electrical parts.. I'd change em ALL so you dont have to worry about it
again..

www.askalandscaper.com