Old 11-09-2004, 01:24 AM
Rasmussan Gilicudy

"Phil" wrote in message
Bought a used riding Murray mower, have to charge the battery each time
before I use it and always assumed it was a bad battery. I got thinking
about the whole system , how does a riding lawnmower generate the 12 v to
charge the battery? ( I'm assuming they do as it has an ammeter that
doesn't ever move.
If this requires a long explanation of how it works I would be glad to go

a Website that has details , most I went to want to sell manuals , all I
want is basic details and I can figure out the rest.
Thanks ,

Phil

More than likely your lawnmower has a magneto that produces power to your
battery. The generator that use to be on older ones aren't used any more to
my knowledge. Like Sgt. Bilko said, you can take the flywheel off and check
the windings to the magneto. There is an air gap that has to be maintained
so check on that also. First, I would check to see if the wire coming down
from the magneto and to your battery is not open. It comes down near the
red cable near the starter. You can check the continuity back to the
battery with an ohm meter if the battery is disconnected.