Old 11-09-2004, 01:52 AM

Oooo, that is very close! This is only our second fall with the tree
and I don't remember any flowers as described on the web. However,
the pictures of the big ones are a dead ringer for the one that I
have.

I'll take a second look in the AM. Thanks for getting back so soon.

TD

wrote in message . ..
On 10 Sep 2004 05:52:14 -0700,
wrote:

Is there a better group for this question?

I have been trying to ID a tree that I have in my yard. Please help if you can.

* It is in the upper 3rd of Georgia east of Atlanta.
* 50 feet tall
* bark looks like Sweet Gum (but is not)
* leaves a
** untoothed simple (5 to 6 inches long)
** dark green in summer
** turn dark red in august (seems early)
** begin falling in late august (nearly bare by Nov)

* Does not drop limbs regularly
* seemingly uncommon as there are no others around

I have looked on lots of tree and leaf ID websites but have not found it yet.

Any ideas?

Thanks, TD

This is just a wild guess, so don't get your hopes up :-), but your description
might fit the Sourwood tree, Oxydendron arboreum. Google will turn up lots of
hits, but here's one to start with:
http://www.cdr3.com/sourwood/

If my guess is wrong, it probably would help if you could describe the tree's
flowers (and the bloom season) and fruit.