Old 10-09-2004, 01:52 PM

Default Tree Identification (not exactly gardening is it)

Is there a better group for this question?

I have been trying to ID a tree that I have in my yard. Please help if you can.

* It is in the upper 3rd of Georgia east of Atlanta.
* 50 feet tall
* bark looks like Sweet Gum (but is not)
* leaves a
** untoothed simple (5 to 6 inches long)
** dark green in summer
** turn dark red in august (seems early)
** begin falling in late august (nearly bare by Nov)

* Does not drop limbs regularly
* seemingly uncommon as there are no others around

I have looked on lots of tree and leaf ID websites but have not found it yet.

Any ideas?

Thanks, TD
Old 10-09-2004, 07:46 PM
Iris Cohen

Is there a better group for this question?

I have been trying to ID a tree that I have in my yard.

Can you post a picture on a Web site? Try sci.bio.botany, but be warned, if you
haven't Googled or consulted a field guide, you may get some rude answers. My
first suggestion would be to buy yourself a field guide to North American
trees, Eastern edition. They are not expensive.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 11-09-2004, 03:50 AM
Marley1372

If its 50 feet tall it sounds more like a black gum, Nyssa sylvatica. That is
rather large for a sourwood.

Toad
Old 13-09-2004, 04:38 PM

Rachel,

That one is very close. Especially the leaves which get brown
splotches within a few days of turning red.

The limbs however do not grow perpendicular to the trunk. Most major
limbs appear to be at less than 45%.

The link that maxsilverstar sent earlier
(http://www.cdr3.com/sourwood/) has a dead ringer for the shape. It
is the 7th picture from the top. Very gnarly and imperfect. Nothing
like any of the full round ornamental pics I've seen.

Thanks all for the help.

TD

"Rachel" wrote in message link.net...
wrote in message
On 10 Sep 2004 05:52:14 -0700, wrote:

* 50 feet tall
* bark looks like Sweet Gum (but is not)
* leaves a
** untoothed simple (5 to 6 inches long)
** dark green in summer
** turn dark red in august (seems early)
** begin falling in late august (nearly bare by Nov)

This is just a wild guess, so don't get your hopes up :-), but your

description
might fit the Sourwood tree, Oxydendron arboreum.

But at 50', may rather a Sourgum (Blackgum, Tupelo) tree? The above
description fits. Do some of the branches grow almost perpendicular to the
trunk, straight out?
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/c...sylvatica.html