Old 11-09-2004, 02:28 PM
Peter Boulton

Default Holly hedge - how do you get the hawthorn trees out?

Hi,

I have a large holly hedge which goes all the way across my front
garden. Unfortunately we inherited it with a fairly large number of
hawthorn trees in it. None of the hawthorns are actually trees, but as
they tend to grow upwatds faster than the holly I want to get rid of them.

The trouble is, how do I get the darn things out? Their trunks are
quite hard / impossible to get at due to the density of the holly. I've
been trying to use a bandsaw and just diving into the hedge, but
typically I get 25% to 50% through the trunk and then the saw gets stuck
and I can get no further. On some trunks it's just not possible to get
a sawing action going as the holly trunks get int the way.

I'm very wary of chainsaws as I value my legs, but is this the only way?
And of course, access with a chainsaw could be an issue.

I'd be very grateful for any advice / tips on solving this problem.

TIA!

Pete