Old 11-09-2004, 02:28 PM
Peter Boulton

Default Holly hedge - how do you get the hawthorn trees out?

Hi,

I have a large holly hedge which goes all the way across my front
garden. Unfortunately we inherited it with a fairly large number of
hawthorn trees in it. None of the hawthorns are actually trees, but as
they tend to grow upwatds faster than the holly I want to get rid of them.

The trouble is, how do I get the darn things out? Their trunks are
quite hard / impossible to get at due to the density of the holly. I've
been trying to use a bandsaw and just diving into the hedge, but
typically I get 25% to 50% through the trunk and then the saw gets stuck
and I can get no further. On some trunks it's just not possible to get
a sawing action going as the holly trunks get int the way.

I'm very wary of chainsaws as I value my legs, but is this the only way?
And of course, access with a chainsaw could be an issue.

I'd be very grateful for any advice / tips on solving this problem.

TIA!

Pete
Old 11-09-2004, 04:57 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Peter Boulton wrote:
[...]

Well, you could just ring-bark them and let them die. It depends
on how unsightly that would be.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:26 PM
Tumbleweed

"Peter Boulton" wrote in message
[...]

I bought a chainsaw last year*, wish I'd bought one 20 years ago would have
saved me a lot of hassle over the years. Used it this afternoon in fact,
sawed through a two branches that would have taken 30 minutes with a saw, in
about 10 seconds each. Bliss. Just be VERY careful. Guy killed his wife
recently, he was up a lader with chainsaw, she was below, I wont draw a
diagram.

p.s you are right about access, you do need to be able to get in there, is
there space to move?
p.ps. Mine is a bosch, works well but replacement chains are tough to get,
if I was buying again I might get a different brand.

*just a baby electric one
--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 14-09-2004, 11:58 PM
Robert E A Harvey

Peter Boulton wrote
typically I get 25% to 50% through the trunk and then the saw gets stuck
and I can get no further.

that's probably the weight of the tree closing the saw kerf. Get a
rope on the top bit and pull it so that the kerf is opened by the
bending, then try again.

For the ones without room to saw with a bow saw, try an electric
aligator saw, they are safer than chainsaws.
Old 15-09-2004, 08:27 AM
Kay

In article , Robert E A
Harvey writes
Peter Boulton wrote
typically I get 25% to 50% through the trunk and then the saw gets stuck
and I can get no further.

that's probably the weight of the tree closing the saw kerf. Get a
rope on the top bit and pull it so that the kerf is opened by the
bending, then try again.

If you can get both sides, try to see which way the trunk will tend to
fall, then saw from the other side so the weight opens the cut for you
rather than closing it.

For the ones without room to saw with a bow saw, try an electric
aligator saw, they are safer than chainsaws.

A pruning saw gets into all sorts of places that other saws can't reach.
--
Kay

Holly trees/hedge islayhawk Gardening 2 18-08-2013 01:23 AM
Hawthorn Hedge squirreluk Gardening 3 30-11-2009 11:44 AM
Bare Hawthorn Hedge squirreluk Gardening 5 15-02-2009 11:18 PM
Yaupon Holly (and other holly questions) Susan Hogarth North Carolina 5 11-01-2005 05:16 PM
hawthorn hedge Bob United Kingdom 4 01-05-2004 09:02 AM