Old 11-09-2004, 02:35 PM
BAC

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
Did I say it was mandatory? No, I didn't, I said it was one of the
things to be taken into account in deciding whether or not to settle
the case, balanced against the cost of giving the guy some 'bugger
off' money.

No I was simply pointing out the fact without comment. BTW I still can't
believe that anyone would be stupid enough to litigate such a trivial
matter. Just the compensation culture gone even more crazy than usual.

I agree it would seem stupid for someone to sue over an alleged ink stain on
a shirt. However, the world is full of people who react emotionally to a
situation, rather than logically. There are people who, if they feel
slighted or, worse, that the dispute has become a 'matter of principle',
will be prepared to pursue things as far and as hard as they can, almost
regardless of the costs/benefits involved.

I'm sure I can't be the only one who has encountered such folk :-)