Old 08-09-2004, 05:47 PM
Craig Cowing

Jim Lewis wrote:

On 8 Sep 2004 at 0:50, AJCarroll1019 wrote:

Yesterday i was outside and i noticed a little maple in a small tree line at
the edge of my property.it must've been mowed over in the past couple of years
and has stayed small and has interesting scarring on one side.Anyway my
question is this,when would be the best time to collect it.i have read through
my bonsai books and saw that the answeres vary.some suggest collect them in
fall right as the amples begin their dormancy and some suggest in spring when
they start budding out.which would be my best bet to keep the tree healthy.
thanks

Spring. It is _possible_ to collect in the fall, but you need
to be an expert at keeping plants alive in less-than-optimal
conditions to get them though the dormant period that follows.

If those books _recommended_ fall collecting, dump them.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

Jim:
I think it depends at least in part in your particular climate. In both Maine and
NY I have collected both in spring and fall and have noticed no difference in
survival rate.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37