Old 08-09-2004, 11:24 AM
Marty Haber

Both times are good, but I prefer fall, just after the leaves have turned
color. Reason: Roots continue to grow in winter whenever the temp. is
above 40o F.
Marty

Old 08-09-2004, 05:47 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] maple collecting

Jim Lewis wrote:

On 8 Sep 2004 at 0:50, AJCarroll1019 wrote:

Yesterday i was outside and i noticed a little maple in a small tree line at
the edge of my property.it must've been mowed over in the past couple of years
and has stayed small and has interesting scarring on one side.Anyway my
question is this,when would be the best time to collect it.i have read through
my bonsai books and saw that the answeres vary.some suggest collect them in
fall right as the amples begin their dormancy and some suggest in spring when
they start budding out.which would be my best bet to keep the tree healthy.
thanks

Spring. It is _possible_ to collect in the fall, but you need
to be an expert at keeping plants alive in less-than-optimal
conditions to get them though the dormant period that follows.

If those books _recommended_ fall collecting, dump them.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

Jim:
I think it depends at least in part in your particular climate. In both Maine and
NY I have collected both in spring and fall and have noticed no difference in
survival rate.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

Old 08-09-2004, 07:23 PM
Steve wachs

Yesterday i was outside and i noticed a little maple in a small tree
line at
the edge of my property.it must've been mowed over in the past couple of

years
and has stayed small and has interesting scarring on one side.Anyway my
question is this,when would be the best time to collect it.i have read

through
my bonsai books and saw that the answeres vary.some suggest collect them

in
fall right as the amples begin their dormancy and some suggest in spring

when
they start budding out.which would be my best bet to keep the tree

healthy.
thanks

If it is on your property , don't be in a hurry to dig it up. You can work
on it's development, while it is still in the ground.. You can get better
branching and trunk thickness if you leave it for a while. I would just try to
keep desireable branches and remove the rest. also keep in mind some of the
direable trunk maybe underground right now
SteveW

LI NY

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 09-09-2004, 03:02 AM
Craig Cowing

Luke Tulkas wrote:

snip

If those books _recommended_ fall collecting, dump them.

Whoa! Another one of bonsai myths kicking in again!

The reality is this: time is crucial. If you can save a few months of it by
collecting in the fall, do it without hesitation. Wait, however, until the
leaves fall off. Notice that I didn't say until the tree goes dormant.
Because even until long after there's nothing happening above ground (not to
the naked eye, that is), roots still grow until temperatures drop well below
freezing. Also, roots begin to grow well before things start happening above
ground in the spring. A few caveats are in order, however: don't stick the
collected tree into a shallow pot right away, plant it into a training
container (that isn't really a problem, since the tree isn't showable for at
least one year after collecting) and shelter from drying winds. All the
collecting guidelines still apply, of course: try to grab as much of the
rootball as possible, not disturbing it too much in the process, use free
draining soil mix, don't forget to water during the winter, etc. Your maple
will do fine.

I wouldn't recommend putting a tree collected in the fall into any kind of pot.
Dig a hole, put it in, mulch it well with leaves, wood chips, etc. and let it sit
for the winter. Don't bare-root it, but collect as much of the root ball as
possible and don't disturb the rootball. Stick it in the ground and look at it in
spring. This is what I do and I have had a high degree of success wintering trees
I've collected in the fall.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Worm collecting farms - collecting/harvesting worms? anm Edible Gardening 0 19-08-2009 11:27 AM
maple collecting AJCarroll1019 Bonsai 7 13-09-2004 07:47 AM
maple collecting AJCarroll1019 Bonsai 2 08-09-2004 10:09 PM
[IBC] New NABF Newsletter on Regional Bonsai in Canada [Was: (IBC) Collecting in National Forest Chris Cochrane Bonsai 0 12-03-2004 04:41 PM
[IBC] Avoid Nothing (Was [IBC] Trees to avoid collecting or trying to work with !) Michael Persiano Bonsai 1 18-12-2003 07:05 PM