Old 11-09-2004, 08:26 PM
Tumbleweed

"Peter Boulton" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a large holly hedge which goes all the way across my front
garden. Unfortunately we inherited it with a fairly large number of
hawthorn trees in it. None of the hawthorns are actually trees, but as
they tend to grow upwatds faster than the holly I want to get rid of them.

The trouble is, how do I get the darn things out? Their trunks are
quite hard / impossible to get at due to the density of the holly. I've
been trying to use a bandsaw and just diving into the hedge, but
typically I get 25% to 50% through the trunk and then the saw gets stuck
and I can get no further. On some trunks it's just not possible to get
a sawing action going as the holly trunks get int the way.

I'm very wary of chainsaws as I value my legs, but is this the only way?
And of course, access with a chainsaw could be an issue.

I'd be very grateful for any advice / tips on solving this problem.

TIA!

I bought a chainsaw last year*, wish I'd bought one 20 years ago would have
saved me a lot of hassle over the years. Used it this afternoon in fact,
sawed through a two branches that would have taken 30 minutes with a saw, in
about 10 seconds each. Bliss. Just be VERY careful. Guy killed his wife
recently, he was up a lader with chainsaw, she was below, I wont draw a
diagram.

p.s you are right about access, you do need to be able to get in there, is
there space to move?
p.ps. Mine is a bosch, works well but replacement chains are tough to get,
if I was buying again I might get a different brand.

*just a baby electric one
--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com