Old 08-09-2004, 01:36 PM
Dwayne

Dave I don't think the sun has anything to do with it. I think it just
takes the chemical change in the sweet potato leaves to get down in the
potatoes and make them bitter. I honestly don't know.

When it happened to me I was in zone 7, I was out at sun up ripping off the
greens to save the potatoes. Now I am in zone 5 and dig them in spurts. I
have been out twice this year digging them and putting them in to cure, so
that if we get a surprise frost, I wont have to get up early and kill myself
to save the crop.

I have no idea about Irish potatoes and what effect frost will have on them.
I have never been around someone who has raised them. When ever I raised
them, I had them dug by the end of August.

Dwayne
"Lightnin Dave" wrote in message
Dwayne wrote:
Here is a question for the group. If we get a
surprise frost over night, how long after the sun comes up do I have to

rip
all the greens of the top before the potatoes are ruined?

If a hot sun after frost ruins sweet potatoes, does it also ruin Irish
potatoes? I had not heard of that before.

Lightnin Dave